Identifying and managing stress can happen in different ways for different people. If you are looking for ways to manage your stress, here are some tips:
- Recognize how you deal with stress
- Determine if you are using unhealthy behaviors such as smoking, drinking alcohol or over/ under eating to cope.
- Are these routine behaviors, or are they specific to certain events or situations?
- Do you make unhealthy choices as a result of feeling rushed and overwhelmed?
- Find healthy ways to manage stress
- Consider healthy, stress-reducing activities like meditation, physical activity or talking things out with friends or family.
- Keep in mind that unhealthy behaviors develop over time and can be difficult to change.
- Try not to take on too much at once. Focus on changing only one behavior at a time.
- Take care of yourself
- Eat right, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water and engage in regular physical activity.
- Ensure you have a healthy mind and body through activities like yoga, walking or playing sports.
- Take regular vacations and breaks from work. No matter how hectic life gets, make time for yourself.
- Reach out for support
- Accepting help from supportive friends and family may improve your ability to manage stress.
- If you continue to feel overwhelmed by stress, you may want to talk to a psychologist or counselor who can help you better identify and change unhealthy behaviors.
*Information referenced sourced from our vendor Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois