So proud of Adelee Le Grand as she moderated this incredibly thought-provoking session at APTA’s TRANScend20 virtual conference segment on “How Can the Transit Industry put Social and Racial Equity and Inclusion at the Forefront.”
Her panel included:
- Alva Carrasco – WSP USA – Latinos in Transit
- Freddie Fuller – Jacobs – COMTO
- Eddie Glaude Jr. – Professor, Princeton University and Chair of Africa American Studies
Some of the reflective comments that came up throughout the session included:
- “Can’t be in a space where we are always comfortable”.
- “The challenge we face is not a zero-sum game – we can always make a bigger pie so we can all get our share”.
- “If you have a problem with the conversation, ask yourself “why”.
- “Need to start feeling comfortable having uncomfortable conversations”.
- “Ensure this is not a moment in time vs. a movement”.
- “We need to address the value gap and figure out how to value everyone equally”.
- “We have to be the change we want to see”.
All interesting ideas to consider as we continue on our diversity and inclusion journey.
Eddie Glaude Jr. shared this inspiring quote from James Baldwin (novelist/playwright/poet): “Not everything we face can be changed, but we can’t change what we don’t face.”
Great Job Adelee!